Monday, December 10, 2012

My Teachers #2

My Teachers: Patricia (My Mother)

A native Floridan, my mother was country to the bone, and stuck in the cycle of wealth that comes with having a father in construction work.  By eight years old she was practically independent, knowing how to cook, clean, fish, and hunt for herself.  Raised with four other siblings she also knew learned to fight, a skill she still possesses today unfortunately.  Although very opinionated and loud, she revels in respect for higher authority and demands the up most best from her children.

"Blood's thicker than water, but mud can get rid of both of them."

My Mother's twist on two classic quotes, was used during family crisis.  It implies that though family and friends are important, they are not here forever.  This quote reminds me to never hold a grudge, not be easily offended, and not let things separate one from whats truly important.  Her ability to see past the petty squabbles that drown life like the ocean to the dilapidated cruiser, amazes me.  Arguments have been dropped faster than they were started for someone in need, and it shows how empathetic she is.  This is what I learned from my mother, the need to care for anybody in need at the risk of your own safety.

No comments:

Post a Comment